prairieguy

• AKA - Murray
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: prairieguy1958
  • Name: Murray Bennett
Aftermath - 2018 MegGame May 12th German Club
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:18:58 AM »
Hello MegaGames friends!
We have confirmed a venue and a date for the 2018 version of the MegaGame!
May 12th at the German Club.
Remember tickets go on sale March 4th at 8:30 AM - teams of 3, one ticket/team. Please play close attention to the requirements on the Eventbrite ticket page - hope to see 42 enthusiastic players on May 12!

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/megagame-2018-aftermath-tickets-43289059743
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:36:18 AM by SaskGamesAdmin3 »

SteamPunch

Re: Aftermath - 2018 MegGame May 12th German Club
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 11:14:46 PM »
Read more about the game on the publisher's website: Aftermath by Diversionary Games

SteamPunch

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:22:08 AM »

PhotoJim

• View Profile
  • BGG ID: PhotoJim
  • Name: Jim MacKenzie
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 05:35:47 AM »
If you speak French (or you want to listen to people babble about board gaming and megagaming in French):

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/premiere/emissions/pour-faire-un-monde

Select vendredi, 11 mai (Friday, May 11)
Select 16h42 Collecte des fonds avec jeux de société (Raise money with board games)

I got interviewed by Doris Labrie of Radio-Canada (CBC French radio) yesterday - principally about the megagame, but we also talked about Play With Your Food and board gaming and SaskGames in general.

Somehow I got over my nervousness and it actually became sort of fun!  (Although I'm awake way too early for a Saturday so maybe the nervousness just got delayed :).)
Avidly gaming since 1972.

prairieguy

• AKA - Murray
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: prairieguy1958
  • Name: Murray Bennett
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 07:18:05 AM »
A huge thank you to the teams and members of control for the success of AFTERMATH the MegaGame on Saturday at the German Club. We made $1300 for Souls Harbour and had a really fun, energetic, entertaining day!

The teams as usual came up with crazy ideas and yet most managed to also restart government and infrastructure repair before the day's end!

Thank you all for making the 4th Regina MegaGame a great success and we hope to see you all next year! I encourage you to post your thoughts, ideas, stories in this thread so that we can get feedback and also others may read and have an interest in joining us next year!

My happy spot came from seeing one team bring in a meat grinder and bones - gotta love the cannibal element of the end of the world!

swoop_ds

• View Profile
  • Name: Dave Schmidt
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »
Thanks to everyone who organized the event (not THE EVENT that caused the end of the world. . . ) and worked hard to make it an amazing experience.

My experience, for those interested:

Everyone on my team had never played a MegaGame before and we had a great time.  The three of us were in charge of one of three regional 'Silver Commands' - essentially something at about the municipal level or a little higher.  We had a civil authority guy, a military guy, and I was the chief constable of the police. We decided to really get into the game and all came dressed to the nines in army fatigues, police uniforms, and a suit for our 'mayor'.  This added to our experience as we all love the roleplaying aspects of gaming.

Upon arrival, everyone was busy setting things up and so we took the opportunity to discuss how we would start.  We decided to focus on getting food and water going, as well as prepare for an eminent influx of refugees from the surrounding areas into our two main "Community Safe Zones" - towns essentially. 

The game started with a radio message from "Crazy Bill" - an ex-pat American stuck in Britain after THE EVENT that caused all this.  He was played very well and it was always entertaining hearing what he had to say. His broadcast seemed to always be anti-establishment, which didn't help us when we finally met other survivor groups later on in the game.

The first couple turns were a little shaky, both with rules, figuring out what to do, and how things actually worked in the game.  This was perhaps the only area that I think could have been improved.  We had a decent idea of how things worked but it would have been nice to have a twenty minute-ish quick explanation of the rules.  We did get sent PDFs beforehand though so I think everyone had more or less read these and understood things, it would have just been nice for a quick refresher.

We eventually got Water Treatment Plants up and running, a quarantine zone, farms setup, neighbourhoods rolling - life was good in the safe zones.  BUT try and tell that to the dirty scavengers outside.  They all thought we were some sort of evil empire or something, and all dealings with the teams that controlled them didn't lead to any meaningful cooperation.  It was their loss.  By the end of the game we had good working relations with the other Silver Command teams and had started bringing survivors to Justice. . . Resistance was not tolerated. . . We basically genocided one team, but they had also killed all their elderly and according to our intel, their children too (although it turned out that was false).  Dirty savages.  Had the game went another turn or two we were going to issue similar orders to bring the other survivors to the safe zones whether they liked it or not.

One funny story - we sent a request to Gold Command for a Fuel Truck.  But, through some miscommunications and then just to be funny, they sent us a Taco Truck. . . but it had no Tacos!  We ended up using it as a mobile swat van but it got destroyed along with our lone gunmen style detective Dusty Sanchez when we raided the base of the above mentioned genocided survivors.  Poor Dusty.

I highly recommend to anyone to give this a try!  It was a ton of fun!

Lori

• View Profile
  • BGG ID: gaffercat
  • Name: Lori MacKenzie
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »
We had a civil authority guy, a military guy, and I was the chief constable of the police. We decided to really get into the game and all came dressed to the nines in army fatigues, police uniforms, and a suit for our 'mayor'.  This added to our experience as we all love the roleplaying aspects of gaming.

You guys looked great!

R Newell

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 02:42:03 PM »
I was sad to miss out on the event for the first time but am super happy it was yet again a fun time and a successful fundraiser.  Great job, organizers and players!