Cockroaches of Burgundy's RPG Learn from the Gamemasters PWYF Team Fundraiser!

• 32 Replies

bboileau

• Brad Boileau
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: bmboileau
Cockroaches of Burgundy's RPG Learn from the Gamemasters

Outside of games like Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder, there has been a renaissance of role playing games (RPGs) in the past few years. Newer systems are becoming more and more available from mainstream and indie publishers across the board, in a variety of genres and styles, giving newcomers and veterans alike fresh opportunities to imagine.

The Cockroaches of Burgundy are hosting a 12-week “Learn from the Gamemasters” course as a Play With Your Food Team Fundraiser. There are 6 RPG systems being covered as part of the fundraiser with a total of 12 game nights (2 sessions per system, each 2-4 Hours):

Session #1: Game Mechanics, World-Building, and Character Creation.
Session #2: System Review and Open Play to Learn the System as a GM and a Player.

The cost to register for each system is $20. There are 6 open spots for each system and an individual can sign up for the system(s) they like or register for the whole 12 weeks at a discount of $15 per system. Each individual will walk away with a folder filled with applicable quick reference guides, setting sheets, character sheets, and an outline of the play session. All materials needed to play the RPG will be brought by the Gamemaster teaching.

How to Pay?: Give money to Brad Boileau (bboileau), Chad Boudreau (ChadBoudreau), or make a donation of the registration fee on our Team's Page here.

Schedule:

Mutant Year Zero (Modiphius Entertainment) - Teacher: Chad Boudreau
Post-apocalyptic wreckage of the world; players play mutants trying to survive in a lethal wasteland. Session #1 (April 10th), Session #2 (April 17th)
1. prairieguy
2. Navem
3. dyobb
4. Breton
5. mrens

Fate Core System (Evil Hat Productions) - Teacher: Brad Boileau
Genre and setting agnostic system that includes collaborative world/character building. Session #1 (April 24th), Session #2 (May 1st)

Tales from the Loop (Modiphius Entertainment) - Teacher: Chad Boudreau
80s-based sci-fi, adventure roleplaying system in the vein of ET and Stranger Things. Player characters are children under the age of 15 defined, in part, by the 80s music they listen to. Session #1 (May 16th), Session #2 (June 4th)
1. prairieguy
2. bboileau
3. dyobb
4. Chris S.
5. Lareina C.
6. Christine M.

Dread (The Impossible Dream) - Teacher: Brad Boileau
Horror-roleplaying heavy on theme and characters, with a twist - Jenga, no dice. Session #1 (May 22nd), Session #2 (May 29th)

Misspent Youth (Robert Bohl/The Burning Wheel) - Teacher: Brad Boileau
Teenage rebellion in a screwed up sci-fi future, full of power struggle and fighting the man. Session #1 (June 26th), Session #2 (June 28th)
1. prairieguy
2. Navem #1
3. Navem #2
4. Navem #3
5. dyobb

End of the World (Fantasy Flight) - Teacher: Chad Boudreau
You play you in a realistically-bent game about surviving an apocalypse, of any kind! Dates TBD
« Last Edit: Today at 11:53:34 AM by bboileau »
Here is my collection, trades, and wishlist on bgg if something should peak your interest!

prairieguy

• AKA - Murray
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: prairieguy1958
  • Name: Murray Bennett
Are you doing this at Chewsday Brad and Chad?

bboileau

• Brad Boileau
    • View Profile

Are you doing this at Chewsday Brad and Chad?

That is the overarching plan, but we will also give registrants or teams of registrants the opportunity to choose a different venue should they desire more privacy :)

CC is the primary plan!
Here is my collection, trades, and wishlist on bgg if something should peak your interest!

Lori

• View Profile
  • BGG ID: gaffercat
  • Name: Lori MacKenzie
You should put this in the RPG area as well.

bboileau

• Brad Boileau
    • View Profile
You should put this in the RPG area as well.

Will do!

prairieguy

• AKA - Murray
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: prairieguy1958
  • Name: Murray Bennett
I will sign up for Mutant Year Zero, Tales from the Loop and Misspent Youth

bboileau

• Brad Boileau
    • View Profile
I will sign up for Mutant Year Zero, Tales from the Loop and Misspent Youth

Sweet!

R Newell

God I hate having moved from Regina sometimes...

Lori

• View Profile
  • BGG ID: gaffercat
  • Name: Lori MacKenzie
God I hate having moved from Regina sometimes...

We miss you too  :)

ChadBoudreau

SYSTEM: Mutant Year Zero
ORGANIZER: Chad Boudreau
SESSION 1: April 10
SESSION 2: April 17
PLAYERS: 6 max.
DETAILS: With Mutant Year Zero being the first in our "Learn from the Gamemasters" series I thought I'd share some additional information with you to get you excited for the experience. In Mutant Year Zero, the world as we know it is long gone. Players play the People, mutated residents of the Ark, which is a community built out of the debris of a civilization that is long dead. Why the civilization died and why the People are as they are is unknown to the People and what little you know of the world comes from The Elder. The Elder of your Ark is not like you. She is from the "time before" but even she wasn't around when the world started to die. The Elder has taught the People about the old ways but so much of what she tells is told to the Chroniclers of the Ark and not to People like you. But this is a truth you all know: The People will die and The Ark will be swallowed by the wasteland. It is only a matter of time. What is important then is what you do with the time you have.

In Part 1 of our session, players will collaboratively create player characters, defining not only player type and skills, but also relationships with other players and NPCs within the Ark. You will also collaboratively develop the Ark and your place within it. Through this process you will learn some of the basics of the Mutant Year Zero system. In Part 2, you will hold an Assembly and discuss what project should be undertaken for the Ark. (The Ark evolves throughout a campaign.) You will work on that project. You will also venture out into the Zone and play a complete encounter that will expose you to the various facets of the system, including travel, survival, exploration, negotiation, and, perhaps, even combat. Lastly, at the end of the session you will learn how experience is gained and used, and you will learn how many of the People perished in the Ark. (The wasteland is a harsh place that claims lives EVERY session. The Ark is literally on borrowed time.)