Strategy Saturday - Argyle Road Baptist Church - Saturday, July 8, 2017

Started by Allan Luesink, May 31, 2017, 04:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan Luesink

-- More info will be posted as this weekend approaches, so be sure to check back here about a week or two prior to the games night. --

Allan Luesink

Hi everyone,

Welcome to July and the fantastic days of summer. However if history had taken a different turn, oh, say about 22 centuries earlier we would not be celebrating the month of July. No, it would have another name had the Punic Wars of antiquity turned out differently. The Punic Wars were between the cities of Rome and Carthage. Had Rome lost, no doubt its most famous citizen, Julius Caesar, would never had the opportunity to move through the pages of history and the month of July would not have received his name.

Hands in the Sea is a unique game that allows players to experience that first conflict between these two great ancient cities. It uses the mechanisms of deck building and card drafting to allow players to advance their faction's control of cities and towns in Sicily (the historical focus of this conflict) and the other major islands of the Western Mediterranean Sea. Players seek to build a deck that will enable them to battle, colonize, and conduct naval actions to achieve victory through a variety of paths such as having the most victory points or even capturing their opponent's capital.

Hands in the Sea is a game that is directly inspired by Martin Wallace's A Few Acres of Snow. Both games use much of the same concepts; if you've played "A Few Acres of Snow" you already have been introduced to 80% of the rules for "Hands in the Sea". These games are 2 player games and I don't usually feature 2 player games - I like the Feature Game to allow a number of participants. But we will have two copies of Hands in the Sea at Strategy Saturday as well as its inspiration, A Few Acres of Snow. So I encourage you to come down and try a new take on playing cards within a strategy games.

!!! If you have a game you'd like to play and draw some attention to, feel free to volunteer for future Feature Game slots. Just drop me a note and I'll see if we can't get your game in the spotlight.

Strategy Saturday will be at Argyle Road Baptist Church (3510 Argyle Rd) from 7pm to midnight.  As usual we'll have our snack counter open so feel free to contribute a drink or something to munch on.  And feel free to bring along friends (and to forward this invite).

Hope you'll be there,

Allan