Warhammer Fantasy Ladder League (spring, 2013)

• 281 Replies

RobertP

• View Profile
Warhammer Fantasy Ladder League (spring, 2013)
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:42:09 AM »
General overview:  Warhammer is the game of fantasy battles using miniture models players have built and painted.  To support the game we are starting a new Warhmmer Fantasy ladder league.  Anyone that might be interested in joining it is welcome to do so.  Players accumulate points by playing the games or can use challenges to advance themselves to the top of the ‘ladder’ league.  When the league is wrapping up the top point and ladder players will duke it out to see who is the winner.  A small fee will be collected for prizes.  There will be a "door prize" just for playing in the league as well as prizes for the winner and runner up.  This league is run independent of recent ComicReaders Warhammer Fantasy escalation leagues and all former rules.  However, this league is still supported by ComicReaders but way of gift certificates and gaming space.  This league ends in 3-4 months conveniently just before ComicReaders starts their next Warhammer Fantasy Escalation League!   The exact date the league comes to a close is June 30, with playoffs in July.

Getting Started:  The official sign up period will be March 15-April 15.  Please join the league at any time by posting your name and the army that you wish to use and I will add you to the list.  There is a minimal charge of $5 and this will go to prizes at the end of the league.  ComicReaders is collecting the league fees so please drop off your money in cash.  Note that it must be cash, not debit or check or anything like that.  Alternatively you can give your fee to Robert to hand in for you. 

Players must choose one army to play for the duration of the ladder league unless playing in a special event (special event details below).  Players can change army lists and game point values from game to game.  When both sides agree, players may also choose to play scenarios from the book, special scenarios from the big book, pitched battles, Storm of Magic, run a mini campaign, a mega-battle, a siege, etc.  It is suggested that players try to build up to, and play games at the 2500pt using the basic rulebook’s army composition.  League finals will be suggested to be played at 2500pts.

Location: Games can be played at any location.  ComicReaders Downtown has offered up room in their store.  Space is generally available during store hours with the exception of Friday evening and Saturday.  Call in advance to book a spot if you’re playing at the store. 

Point structure: League points are earned by playing games.  A crushing victory yields 8-2, victory 6-3 and a tie 4-4.  The players can also earn a bonus point by: playing a fully painted army +1, ladder challenge battle +1, or playing at ComicReaders Downtown +1.  Players will receive a cumulative -1 point for each game that they play the same person to a minimum of 2.  Players are also awarded 2 league points for every tournament battle or special event that they attend.  (This season’s special event is FRAGCON running May 3-5).  Players may play any army that they choose for this special event and still receive credit as if they were playing their ladder league army.  Points accumulate with the first and second highest point scores determine who will make it to the playoffs.

In order to further promote the spirit of increased game play, players that play matches involving non league members will still benefit from game count and will receive 2 points for the league.  In addition, players that command a different army from their chosen army will also get 2 points for each game played. 

THE LADDER:   The ladders system was invented to by Scott Radom and is designed to level the playing field between those that can play lots and those that can play minimum number of games.  It seems to be working well for the Ravagign Hordes league in Saskatoon so we will borrow it.  Here is how it works:  Once per month a player can issue a challenge to someone up to three positions higher on the ladder.  If the challenge is successful the players would then exchange positions.  (Note: points are not lost or given up in this way only ladder position).   In addition, each person has a single ‘wild card’ challenge that they can use to challenge anyone above them in the standings regardless of position.  Please make it clear to both players that a ladder challenge has been issued.  The challenge can be played at any agreed point value and in any location.  Inactive players fall to the bottom of the ladder any month they do not play at least one game (excluding March).

League Final: The two highest point totals and the two highest ranking players on the ladder will face off to see who will win the league.  Basically 1st place points plays second place ladder and 2nd place points plays first place ladder.  The winners then face off against each other.  In the event the playoff game played is a draw then the number of games played in the league will be used to break the tie.  The league playoff games will be scheduled by you at your convenience.  It is strongly suggested to play at 2500pts. 

Prizes:  The prizes are divided with 40% going to the winner, 30% going to 2nd place and 30% going in a random draw to a third player that meet the minimum eligibility AND whom didn't win 1st or 2nd.  To be eligible for prizes 4 games minimum need to be played.  Also league fees of $5 must be paid up in advance of draw.  ComicReaders has agreed to double all league fees so the prizes will be gift certificates to their store! Thanks ComicReaders!  (Note: the gift certificate can be used for any product in their store, at their price.  THIS is not the GW credit from previous leagues).

Reporting All battles need to be reported in this forum so that I can keep track and up-to-date.  Remember to count all the victory points as we have to distinguish between crushing victory or just victory.  Also take note if people's armies are painted (typically 3 different colours).  The league is self policing so play fair and report accurately.  Please report battles promptly, thanks!

Other than that everyone just needs to have fun and play fair!

A big thanks to ComicReaders for their help with supplying gift certificates, gaming room and collection of the league fees.

Edited:  March 20/21, major revisions to most paragraphs.  Updated the ladder, prizes, league fees, etc
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:22:31 AM by RobertP »

RobertP

• View Profile
Re: Warhammer Fantasy Ladder League (spring, 2013)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »
The ladder... the top two names make the playoffs (position 1 and 2); the top two in Total Points also make the playoffs

Player name  -----------  army  -----------  *MW/W/L/ML/D - GP - Total Points
1 Chris S (Yolanka)            Ogres                        1/2/0/0/1 -     4           25           
2 Justin G (Gallager)            Orc                          1/0/1/1/2 -    5           30         
3 Robert P                        Empire                       1/0/1/7/1 -    10          40         
4 Don M  (squalie)            Bretonnians                 8/4/4/3/0 -   19          50         
5 Barcley (Kingllama)        Daemons                    2/1/2/1/1 -    7           25       
6 Neil G (NSGossy)             Orc                           1/2/1/4/0 -    8           30           
7 Allan L                          Dwarfs                         3/3/0/2/1 -   9           51           
8 Dean D                         Lizardmen                   0/3/0/2/1 -    6           24         
9 Devin B                      Chaos Warriors             1/0/0/1/1 -     3           18         
10 Chris (dirtytrix)           Skaven                        0/1/1/0/0 -    2           10         

*MW=massacre win

Edited (22 times):
June 12 - Chris 8pts; Rob 5pts - all painted, challenge
June 18 - Don 2pts (non-league army); Rob 3pts - painted
June 24 - Don 8pts (MW); Neil 3pts (ML + painted)
June 30 - Barcley 2pts (W, non league army) vs Neil 3pts (L); Allan 9pts (MW, painted) vs Rob 2pts (ML)
July 2 - Chris (D, painted); Justin (D, painted); Don (MW,W,L,ML, non-painted or non-league army, 8pts total); Allan (W,ML, painted)
July 2 - Dean, Devin, and Chris dirtytrix moved to bottom of ladder (no June game)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:18:56 AM by RobertP »

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:58:24 AM »
I will join.  Robert Possberg commanding the armies of THE EMPIRE!

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
ill be in as well with my ogres... however i am also working on an empire and  daemons armies. not sure if i will manage a game with those guys or not, but ill certainly try.

Yolanka

• Chris S
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
Sign me up as ogres.  Not sure if I'll get too many games in while I work on my next fantasy army and also try to fit games in for the ComicReaders 40k escalation league, but I'll still be up for the odd game with my fatties. :)

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »
I am in with Skaven once again, might as well get some more use out my Decaylings  :excited I would like to play a game of 2k or 2.5k on the 15th-17th.

And might I bring forth an issue to vote on?

Would anyone object to me using Chaos Dwarfs in the next escalation league? It is a legal list, even though some don't know that.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:05:03 PM by Prince of Arnheim »

Dean Dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what to play. I've got an old 6th edition lizardmand army I can rejuvenate. A 7th edition skaven to play with or a dark elf one.
Any one know if any of those are getting new books or models in the next year?

Thanks for pulling the structure together Rob.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:28:03 PM by Dean Dodge »

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
high elves and lizards are supposed to be the next armies. at least according to the popular rumor mill. no idea on a time frame, or further details. DE are supposed to be next year, with the dwarves and brets.

but again... no idea how accurate the rumors are. usually these things are hit and miss with about 50% accuracy.

squalie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »
Excellent Job Rob!!  I'm in with my "Chaostonnians".

Maeson, the Tamurkhan Chaos Dwarf, Legion of Azgorh list is an official GW publication and is recognized.  If you have the models to play the army then go for it.

Dean;  High Elves are out next (First saturday of May), then Lizzies, with DE, Dwarves and Woodies early next year.  Brets are rumoured to be almost 2 years away. :(

Robert, do we pay you or leave money at Comic Readers and how much?

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
so who wants to do a 3000pt storm of magic game?  :excited :o :8)