What games would you like to see at ChewsDay Challenge?

Started by Dana_Tillusz, January 30, 2013, 04:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Newell

I'd like to see Legends of Andor make a return visit.  I've been reading lots of good things.

Tempest

Also if anyone would ever be interested in playing/learning how to play D&D 4th Ed, I could potentially play/run some games if people wouldn't feel awkward playing D&D at a Chewsday Challenge ;p
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

ChadBoudreau

QuoteAlso if anyone would ever be interested in playing/learning how to play D&D 4th Ed, I could potentially play/run some games if people wouldn't feel awkward playing D&D at a Chewsday Challenge ;p

Mac and I have actually talked about this a bit, and I'm currently reading / getting familiar with Halls of the Undermountain because that is the campaign we were thinking of running. This is in the earliest of stages of planning, but the idea was that Mac and I would tag team. I've got experience DM-ing (though not with 4th edition) and Mac has experience with 4th edition as a player. So, in theory, I could run the game as the DM but Mac would provide the guidance on rules.

It has been a few weeks since Mac and I talked, but, yeah, I think there is some interest, Tempest. Perhaps we can chat some more about this on March 12. I'll be at Chewsday Challenge on that day as the ambassador.

Tempest

That sounds awesome. I'm also very familiar with 4th ed rules, both from the player and DM perspectives; I also have a character concept I've been wanting to try out, so count me in.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Bix Conners

I have a good sized collection of abstract strategy games. I would really like to get them to the table more often. I thought I would post here to see if there was any interest perhaps a monthly night of abstracts.

An abstract strategy game is a strategy game that minimizes luck and does not rely on a theme. Almost all abstract strategy games will conform to the strictest definition of: a gameboard, card, or tile game in which there is no hidden information, no non-deterministic elements (such as shuffled cards or dice rolls), and (usually) two players or teams taking a finite number of alternating turns.

Many of the world's classic board games, including chess, checkers and draughts, Go, xiangqi, shogi, Reversi, and most mancala variants, fit into this category. Play is sometimes said to resemble a series of puzzles the players pose to each other. As J. Mark Thompson wrote in his article "Defining the Abstract":

There is an intimate relationship between such games and puzzles: every board position presents the player with the puzzle, What is the best move?, which in theory could be solved by logic alone. A good abstract game can therefore be thought of as a "family" of potentially interesting logic puzzles, and the play consists of each player posing such a puzzle to the other. Good players are the ones who find the most difficult puzzles to present to their opponents.

Abstract Games I have in my Collection:
(Number of players)
Chase (2)
DVONN (2)
GIPF (2)
Halves (2)
Hive (2)
Kogworks (2)
Pikemen (2,3,4)
PUNCT (2)
Quarto (2)
Quoridor (2,4)
Six (2)
TAMSK (2)
TZAAR (2)
Volcano (2,3,4,5,6)
YINSH (2)
Zagami (4)
ZERTZ (2)
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Garrek42

A couple that keep almost finding themselves in my collection are "Ninja, Legend of the Scorpion Clan" and Alhambra. I'd be interested in playing those, see if I enjoy them.

Guy Ouellette

Just a question, I do not see a post for June 18th, 2013.  Will there be a games night on the 18th?

Thanks

Bix Conners

Quote from: Guy Ouellette on June 08, 2013, 12:16:48 PM
Just a question, I do not see a post for June 18th, 2013.  Will there be a games night on the 18th?

Thanks

Hello Guy.

There will be a ChewsDay Challenge event on the 18th. We are still lining up the ambassador and the feature game. Will post as soon as we finalize.

Thanks,
Matt

NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Guy Ouellette