Saskatchewan Gaming Community

Author Topic: PWYF 2017 Game Schedule  (Read 1675 times)

Offline ChadBoudreau

• Pillar of the Site
    • View Profile
    • Writing Portfolio and Production Blog
Re: PWYF 2017 Game Schedule
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 10:46:20 AM »

GAME TITLE: The Thing
TEACHER: Chad Boudreau
START TIME: 1:00am
DURATION: 150 minutes
# OF PLAYERS: 12 - 18

The Thing is a social game of my own making. It was born out of my love of running Ultimate Werewolf and my fascination with the movie The Thing by John Carpenter. In the game, each player is a member of an American scientific expedition in the frozen wastes of the Antarctic that has uncovered a "Thing" in the frozen wastes. When the "Thing" begins to thaw, a member of your team is infected. Though that person looks and acts like a human all it desires is to get alone with someone in order to turn him or her into a Thing as well. Through social interaction and the playing of limited action cards, you must find and destroy the Things before the "Things" outnumber the humans.

The Thing is a game in which...
- ...there is almost most constant social interaction
- ...you physically have to move (change "rooms") every turn
- ...the Things don't kill humans. If you are attacked by a Thing you become a Thing and now work with the Things
- ...there are ways your character can "die" but in some instances you remain in the game because even in death you can be a potential threat
- ... if you do die a permanent death you are free to leave the game (though it can be fun to stick around and watch the game play out)

This will be the fourth(!) year for The Thing at PWYF. If you played in The Thing last year and the year before you might recall the "gun" was key to the success of the The Things winning the game. As such, I've made some minor modifications that I think will better balance the game as it nears its inevitable climax.  I will also once again endeavour to keep the game moving at a brisk pace-- the debate, accusations, counter-accusations can eat up a lot of extra time if I don't keep things in check. I've scheduled this for 2.5 hours and will watch the clock to ensure the game wraps in that time. (I do believe I did a good job of keeping to the clock last time.)

The Thing begins at 1:00am! This is a great chance to wake your brain and body with deduction, social interaction, laughs, horror, and (hopefully) a unique and enjoyable gaming experience.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:56:12 PM by ChadBoudreau »
Happier than ever.

Offline Lori

• Pillar of the Site
    • Lori MacKenzie
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: gaffercat
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »
START TIME: 1:00am

The Thing begins at midnight!

:D  This game seems conflicted!

Offline ChadBoudreau

• Pillar of the Site
    • View Profile
    • Writing Portfolio and Production Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
Ha! I've edited the post to be consistent for 1:00am.
Happier than ever.

Offline Tempest

• Pillar of the Site
  • Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 07:13:34 PM »
I'll get in on The Thing and Scythe for now. I'll be bringing a few games with me, but not sure what just quite yet. It'll either be a variety including:

Macao, Clank!, X-Com, Agricola, Top Race and possibly others. (My BGG link is mostly up-to-date)

OR one of my games that requires several boxes, such as:

Rum & Bones
Talisman
Marvel Legendary
Arcadia Quest

Finally, I'll be bring Caverna: Cave versus Cave (the two player game) and several other filler/short games as well.

As always, I take requests, so if anyone sees anything interesting, I love to teach and will gladly schedule something if there's interest.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Offline NeikeDjour

• Pillar of the Site
    • Nicole Persram
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
  • BGG ID: NeikeDjour
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 08:06:49 AM »
I'll get in on The Thing and Scythe for now. I'll be bringing a few games with me, but not sure what just quite yet. It'll either be a variety including:

Macao, Clank!, X-Com, Agricola, Top Race and possibly others. (My BGG link is mostly up-to-date)

OR one of my games that requires several boxes, such as:

Rum & Bones
Talisman
Marvel Legendary
Arcadia Quest

Finally, I'll be bring Caverna: Cave versus Cave (the two player game) and several other filler/short games as well.

As always, I take requests, so if anyone sees anything interesting, I love to teach and will gladly schedule something if there's interest.

I'd like to try Clank!
Let me know if you want to me to bring out a specific game: Game List

Offline NeikeDjour

• Pillar of the Site
    • Nicole Persram
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »
David Schmidt, is it possible for me to borrow Captain Sonar at some point in the night to run another game of it? I'd really like to get that one in this pwyf.  :)

Offline swoop_ds

• Dave Schmidt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »
David Schmidt, is it possible for me to borrow Captain Sonar at some point in the night to run another game of it? I'd really like to get that one in this pwyf.  :)

Yes certainly, we are only playing it during that scheduled time so any other time you're welcome to borrow it.

Offline NeikeDjour

• Pillar of the Site
    • Nicole Persram
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 10:18:45 AM »

Yes certainly, we are only playing it during that scheduled time so any other time you're welcome to borrow it.
Sweet! Thanks~

Offline thisisntmyredditusername

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »
Please sign me up for Secret Hitler!!!

Offline vegantendo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »
I am in for scythe at 10:30. If there are any subsequent games of secret hitler I would love to try it out. Also, the thing sounds great sign me up for that too!

Copyright © SaskGames (Established in 2010)