Saskatchewan Gaming Community

Author Topic: Twilight Struggle League & Fundraiser 2016/17 Discussion  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Lori

• Pillar of the Site
    • Lori MacKenzie
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: gaffercat
Re: Twilight Struggle League & Fundraiser 2016/17 Discussion
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2017, 02:30:06 AM »
Thatís quite the write-up!

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2017, 09:21:51 AM »
That was the best game write-up I've ever read. Wow, what a game. Ryan played a very unorthodox way. I'm with you Derek, as I would have played the cards differently if I was in Ryan's position. It was definitely an all or nothing strategy on his part ,and man, did it pay off.

Well, it looks like we have our finalists. I'll polish off the trophy and get 'er ready for the final match.
Snikt!

Offline R Newell

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »
I tend to play that I'll (usually) go for VP that are available in the moment rather than build for future VP that I may or may not be able to hold until it pays off.  Sometimes that blows up in my face but about half the time doesn't burn me.

I also find I tend to use the Space Race way more often than the people I play with.  I'm a fan of it.

Offline R Newell

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2017, 09:51:49 AM »
Oh, and Derek beat me pretty handily in a for-fun rematch last night.  The game lasted until my final action card (Asia scoring) in the final turn, but he had me on the ropes since about turn 5, with US VP bouncing between 13 and 18 for the bulk of the last half of the game.

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2017, 12:38:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

Ryan and I played our League Final Match at BP's last Tuesday. Ryan played as USSR so I had the USA.

Ryan controlled most of the match and took a comfortable lead by Mid-War by about 13VP's after scoring about 9VP's on Middle East Scoring. Every time I tried to get some points from a Scoring Card, Ryan was able to minimize the impact and I couldn't gain any ground. My hope was to survive until Late-War and get lucky with some Late War Cards especially in Europe to get back into the game. Ryan almost controlled the Middle East and Dominated Europe or at least had more Battlegrounds and we were pretty much tied in every other region by Mid-War Turn 7 but he had a commanding lead of 13VP's and War Games was about to come out next Turn.

Unfortunately for Ryan and lucky for me, Ryan got caught with 2 Defcon Suicide Cards (Grain Sales to Soviets and CIA Created) on his last Action Round of Turn 7 when Defcon Status was 2 with no China Card to be able to hold both cards to next turn and so he caused Nuclear War and lost the game.

The reason for nuclear war is both of those cards allows me as USA to use the operations to coup a USSR battleground when Defcon is 2 but it's the phasing player's fault and so Ryan lost.

I will admit Ryan had me on the ropes and I was just trying to stay in the game and hope for a Late War comeback. I was pretty sure I was going to lose and got lucky this time. Thanks for the game Ryan, you played so well but made one unforgiving mistake. I guess that's the beauty or maybe the frustration of this game.

I want to thank everyone in the League for the matches we played and for having this League. I had a lot of fun and would definitely do this again. Thank you for the Trophy Mug. I love it! If anyone wants to play Twilight Struggle for fun I am up for it.

Eric

Offline R Newell

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
Definitely the beauty of the game.  I couldn't help but laugh at me not noticing that I painted myself into a corner until it was too late.

A well deserved win in the tournament, and impressive considering how many experienced players you beat to get it when you had just learned the game for this tournament.

:thumb-up

Offline trimmer

• Darrin Bailey
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: trimmer
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »
Congratulations Eric! Let's line up a practice game in January.

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2017, 09:27:20 PM »
Congrats, Eric! Well done.
Snikt!

Offline craftybernardo

• Elite Member
  • SHAZAM !
    • Brent Stephansson
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: craftybernardo
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »
Congrats Eric !  You do realize that mug comes with a giant target to place on your back as well now  :D

Offline DCStyles

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: chowman13
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »
Big props on the championship win Eric, sounds like you guys had a really intense match!  We'll hafta play a friendly mug vs. mug match, and try out the kickstarter turn zero scenario and expansion cards for fun sometime.
My collection of board games:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/chowman13     Feel free to request something and I'll bring it out!

Copyright © SaskGames (Established in 2010)