Saskatchewan Gaming Community

Author Topic: Twilight Struggle League & Fundraiser 2016/17 Discussion  (Read 5190 times)

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
Re: Twilight Struggle League & Fundraiser 2016/17 Discussion
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 09:46:14 PM »
Hey everyone:

Ryan put the site up early just for us!

The donation page is: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/pages/2017-pwyf-the-cockroaches-of-burgundy/

Please donate $20 . Please write your name and "Twilight Struggle" in the Personal Message field.

To anyone who paid me cash: If you would like a tax receipt please make a payment online and I will give you $20 cash back. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:02:42 PM by R Newell »
Snikt!

Offline craftybernardo

• Elite Member
  • SHAZAM !
    • Brent Stephansson
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: craftybernardo
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 10:40:11 PM »
Ryan and I played our matchup at Beer Bros on February 8th.  Ryan was USA and I was USSR.  I won by victory points on turn 4 or 5 (mid war).  Early war was back and forth but I came out with a modest lead thanks in large part to early success on the space race track.  Mid war was rough on Ryan, he had 2 scoring cards and then a mixture of 2 and 3 value ops cards (mostly 2's and mostly USSR affiliated).  I headlined Red Scare/Purge which further hamstrung him as now he was only getting 1 op on most action rounds.  I then used muslim revolution to expel him from egypt and saudi arabia, gained control of them, and then played OPEC to secure 5 of the possible 7 points which took me to 20 points.

Offline R Newell

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 10:44:40 PM »
I'm still feeling shell shocked.  I don't think that game even took 60 minutes.

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 03:41:17 PM »
Darrin and I played a few weeks ago at ChewsDay Challenge and neither of us have reported. I was USSR and beat Darrin in Mid-War. I can't remember much on events, but I think Darrin had some poor rolls. I had the benefit of knowing the game and what to expect but that just comes with plays. As soon as Darrin gets a few more plays under his belt he'll start kicking some butt.
Snikt!

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
Match-Up #3:

Dana Vs. Brent
Eric Vs. Darrin
Ryan Vs. Derek

Please have game report in by April 21st!
Snikt!

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
Also, I still need a $20 payment from Eric & Derek.

Link: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/pages/2017-pwyf-the-cockroaches-of-burgundy/
Snikt!

Offline R Newell

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 03:44:50 PM »
Hmm... I'm predicting a turn 1 loss for me.

Is it possible to lose on the first action?

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 03:48:47 PM »
Hmm... I'm predicting a turn 1 loss for me.

Is it possible to lose on the first action?

Impossible. Just dig in.
Snikt!

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 12:39:51 PM »
Derek and I played last Wednesday at Beer Bros. and Derek won in the Mid-War on Turn 5. I was the USSR and Derek was USA. Though I knew my chances of winning were doubtful, my hope was to at least compete well enough to survive into the Late War or pull off some miracle victory in Mid-War.

Unfortunately I made rookie mistakes that I knew better not to do but decided to defy reason or sometimes play too impulsively. My first big error as USSR was playing De-Stalinization before Defcon reached level 2 and therefore allowed USA to coup me the next action round and have easy access to South America and wreck my strategy. It came back to haunt me as Derek later took control of South America and scored 8 VPs with SA Scoring Card and later defeated me with Alliance for Progress having all SA battlegrounds and two in Central America. It was painful to watch my one big error in Early War come back to beat me in Mid-War.

Other mistakes I made include playing into Japan with Ops to break USA Asia Domination with several actions rounds when the common rule of USSR is to let USA have Japan and focus your Ops in more useful places. I wasted Ops there when it turned out I didn't have to as at the end of my Turn I realized I could dump the Asia Scoring Card using Five-Year Plan.

I played Bear Trap on myself instead of spacing it and lost two action rounds which would have been used for my AR7 Ops and AR1 Coup allowing USA to make free plays with no counter and stealing my AR1 coup.

On Turn 1, I played Arab-Israeli War after USA took over Jordan (or Egypt can't remember?) and Lebanon (therefore having to roll 6 to win which I didn't) and therefore wasted my chance to eliminate USA from the Middle East right from the start. I should have just headlined it but I had a few good headline cards on Turn 1 and couldn't decide which one was best to headline for what I wanted to do.

Anyways another good learning experience (thanks Derek!) but I need to be more careful on my action rounds. Too many wasted action rounds or a poor play of a card can really hurt you later on.

Eric

Offline R Newell

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 03:54:50 PM »
Derek (USSR) and I (US) had an epic game that, for a lot of it, was like bizzaro Twilight Struggle.  I was up to 18 points by the end of Turn 4, which is unusual for the US to have such a strong start.  However, I couldn't close the deal, and Derek pretty quickly got the game back to balance by controlling South America and scoring well in Africa.  In the end, Derek won in final scoring with 20 points.  A real nail biter for most rounds, though.

Game played at Chewsday Challenge.

Copyright © SaskGames (Established in 2010)