Saskatchewan Gaming Community

Author Topic: Twilight Struggle League & Fundraiser 2016/17 Discussion  (Read 5189 times)

Offline DCStyles

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: chowman13
Re: Twilight Struggle League & Fundraiser 2016/17 Discussion
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »
Anyone interested in playing a friendly practice game at BPs on Jan. 3rd?  I promise I'll go easy on you (for the first turn at least)!
My collection of board games:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/chowman13     Feel free to request something and I'll bring it out!

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 05:08:56 PM »
I can meet you. What time?

Offline DCStyles

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 05:34:24 PM »
I can meet you. What time?

Does 6:30 work for you Eric?  Also, are you able to bring your copy of the game?  I only have the Collector's Edition and the influence tokens + alternate art cards might be a bit confusing for someone who hasn't played the regular edition much.
My collection of board games:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/chowman13     Feel free to request something and I'll bring it out!

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 06:16:38 PM »
Okay I'll meet you there at 6:30 and I'll bring my copy of Twilight.

Offline craftybernardo

• Elite Member
  • SHAZAM !
    • Brent Stephansson
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: craftybernardo
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »
Darrin and I played our league game on January 10th at Chewsday Challenge. 
Darrin was USSR and I (Brent) was USA.
USA won with a score of 1 on turn 9 (Late War) by playing the Wargames Event.

Offline R Newell

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
Eric and I played at Boards N Beans on January 14.  I (US) won in round 7 (mid war) on points.  Eric got COMPLETELY SCREWED by being dealt FOUR scoring cards.  Never seen such a bad hand dealt before.

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 09:10:46 PM »
Derek and I will have our game done on January 24th, so I thought I'd get the jump on round #2.

Round 2:

Darrin Vs. Dana
Brent Vs. Ryan
Eric Vs. Derek

Please have games done by March 7th, 2017.
Snikt!

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
Derek and I played a crazy, epic game (4 1/2 hours) last night at ChewsDay Challenge. I won, playing as the US, in Final Scoring with 3 points.

Every card mattered in this match. It was tense from the first headline phase.

I was able to pull off the win, barely. A couple plays that helped lead me to victory:

"Ask Not What Your Country..." allowed me to ditch a handful of powerful red cards and the Central America scoring card (which Derek had Control) and draw some very good cards as replacements.

Aldrich Ames Remix: Holding and playing this card as my final card in one of the Late War rounds allowed me to discard the Africa Scoring Card. Derek had Domination, and he would have scored major points.

Playing "Brush War" in Late War secured my win. Derek had Domination of Asia for the whole game, but Brush War allowed me to take Thailand and tie him in Battleground countries.

NORAD played a huge part in my game. I was able to hold Domination of Europe for most of the game -- I just couldn't dig him out of Poland though. At the end of the game Derek had 13 Influence in Poland. I used NORAD to take East Germany away from him and make Poland a major source of annoyance.
Snikt!

Offline craftybernardo

• Elite Member
  • SHAZAM !
    • Brent Stephansson
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: craftybernardo
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 02:30:42 PM »
Derek and I played a crazy, epic game (4 1/2 hours) last night at ChewsDay Challenge. I won, playing as the US, in Final Scoring with 3 points.

I was able to pull off the win, barely. A couple plays that helped lead me to victory:

"Ask Not What Your Country..." allowed me to ditch a handful of powerful red cards and the Central America scoring card (which Derek had Control) and draw some very good cards as replacements.

Aldrich Ames Remix: Holding and playing this card as my final card in one of the Late War rounds allowed me to discard the Africa Scoring Card. Derek had Domination, and he would have scored major points.

Playing "Brush War" in Late War secured my win. Derek had Domination of Asia for the whole game, but Brush War allowed me to take Thailand and tie him in Battleground countries.

NORAD played a huge part in my game. I was able to hold Domination of Europe for most of the game -- I just couldn't dig him out of Poland though. At the end of the game Derek had 13 Influence in Poland. I used NORAD to take East Germany away from him and make Poland a major source of annoyance.

Nice game you guys ! That was some great card play Dana

Offline DCStyles

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 11:13:14 PM »

Even though I was defeated, it was the funnest game of Twilight Struggle I ever played.  Dana played brilliantly, using key events to wrest away my strong opening positions in Europe and then South America (2 ABM treaties, 2 Juntas and 2 Brush Wars).  I had a number of very difficult hands to mitigate (4 1 op cards in Turn 1, 1 mid-war and 1 late-war turn where I had all US events except for one card, and one turn where I was holding 3 defcon suicide cards!) that I played as best I could.  It wasn't all gloomy, the Russian coup rolls were wildly hot (4 6's and 2 5's!)  but I choked on a key 4 ops coup roll to get back into South America the turn before Dana scored control.  Ultimately, 2 key mistakes cost me the game, putting China Card influence in the wrong place the turn I was holding the 3 defcon suicide cards, and not headlining the correct card in Turn 10 to protect Thailand from the Brush War.  I probably learned more playing that game than any other besides my first ever.  Looking forward to playing again soon!

Copyright © SaskGames (Established in 2010)