Saskatchewan Gaming Community

Author Topic: Twilight Struggle League & Fundraiser 2016/17 Discussion  (Read 4762 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
Re: Twilight Struggle League & Fundraiser 2016/17 Discussion
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
Brent and I played a great chess match for 5 hours all the way to Turn 10 in which I got the victory during Turn 10.

I was USSR and Brent played as USA. Brent started strong by scoring an early domination in Asia and took a good Early War lead but I slowly clawed my way back and took a small lead at some point late in Mid-War I think and finally was able to win on the last turn before Final Scoring Cards could be played.

The game though was fairly even most of the time but I was able to gain domination in the Middle East and hold on to score OPEC twice for 5VP's each time and scored Europe and South America domination in Late War which sealed the deal.

It was the most intense game of Twilight Struggle I've played so far with both of us being given a small margin for error.

Just a head's up I'm leaving in mid-June to go hiking for likely longer than a month so if I'm not around for some or all of the playoff games it's okay if I have to concede a game that I was scheduled for because I couldn't attend and therefore be eliminated.

Eric

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
I'm just checking in on Darrin and Ryan's match-up--have you guys scheduled or played yet?

Final round:

Match-Up #5
Dana Vs. Ryan
Darrin Vs. Derek
Eric (5) Vs. Brent (3) --already played!

Please have your game in by July 8th!

Looks like we'll be losing Eric from the league. Good luck on your journey, Eric. I can't wait to hear about your adventure.
Snikt!

Offline R Newell

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
Darrin and I have yet to play our game.  I'll shoot him a message.  (Trimmer is his username?)

Offline Dana_Tillusz

• Pillar of the Site
  • bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »
yes, trimmer it is.
Snikt!

Offline Lori

• Pillar of the Site
    • Lori MacKenzie
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: gaffercat
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »
I remember talking to Darrin in early May and he was going to be on holidays for the last 1/2 of the month.  I know he's back for PGX this weekend though!

Offline R Newell

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »
Darrin and I have scheduled our game for the June 13 CC.

Offline R Newell

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
Ryan (USSR) beat Darrin (US) in turn 9 by playing Wargames.  Game was played at Chewsday Challenge.

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2017, 10:24:46 PM »
Hi Guys,

I had a setback on my hiking trip and am back in Regina already therefore I can participate in the league playoffs.

Eric

Offline DCStyles

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: chowman13
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 11:31:50 PM »
Darrin and myself played our final round matchup at the July 11th Chewsday, I was USA and Darrin got the USSR.  The game was fairly even in the early war with the VP track flipping back and forth over 0 numerous times.  The US scored Europe domination a few times, both countries got a MidEast domination, and the USSR got a big Asia domination.  Eventually a Red Scare/Purge hit the Russians in turn 4 and the US mid war events started piling up in Darrin's hand.  The game ended in Turn 6 by DefCon suicide when the Russians were forced to play Grain Sales to Soviets after a Five Year Plan card, allowing the US to coup Cuba on the Russians watch.  Victory for the US by total world annihilation.
Thanks again for the game Darrin!

-Derek
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:59:21 PM by DCStyles »
My collection of board games:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/chowman13     Feel free to request something and I'll bring it out!

Offline R Newell

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2017, 01:02:34 AM »
Ryan (US) beat Dana (USSR) in final scoring.   Close, tense game until the final round or so.

Notably, the USSR never made it off the initial step of the space race.  Never seen that before.  I don't think they ever advanced their technology beyond blimps piloted by bears.

Copyright © SaskGames (Established in 2010)